The UEFA Euro qualifiers are set to kick off with a round of matches this week and the first round of matches brings us a real heavyweight clash between two titans of the International stage as Italy lock horns with Gareth Southgate’s England side in an important clash at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona on Thursday.
Italy vs England Preview
Somewhat unsurprisingly, Italy did not qualify for the 2022 World Cup and will be intent on building a squad that can be competitive with the very best ahead of the next major tournament.
The Azzurri slumped to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Austria in their previous game and will be looking to bounce back this week.
England, on the other hand, have been fairly impressive results wise on the international stage but have flattered to deceive against strong opponents.
They slumped to a 2-1 defeat against France in the World Cup last year and will be looking to put that right come the European Championships next year.
Italy vs England Tail Of The Tape
- Italy have a good historical record against England and have won thirteen out of the thirty matches that have been played by the two teams, as opposed to England’s eight victories.
- In this match, Harry Kane will be looking to become England’s top scorer of all time. The Spurs forward is tied on 53 goals with Wayne Rooney.
- England are winless in their last six matches against Italy in all competitions, with their previous victory against the Azzurri coming by a 2-1 scoreline back in 2012.
- The last five matches between the two teams have produced a total of four draws, with the previous game taking place last year and ending in a narrow 1-0 victory in favour of Italy.
- England were on an unbeaten streak of five matches in all competitions before they slumped to a defeat against France at the World Cup.
- Italy have suffered defeat in two of their last five matches in all competitions and have conceded eight goals during those five matches.
- England have been a prolific team under Gareth Southgate and have scored thirteen goals in their last five games in all competitions.
Italy vs England Potential Lineups
The Italians have called-up a number of inexperienced players for their latest squad with Marco Carnesecchi, Wladimiro Falcone and Alessandro Buongiorno all hoping to make their international debut this week.
Mancini’s side are without the likes of Alessandro Bastoni, Alessandro Florenzi, Giorgio Chiellini, Manuel Locatelli, Giacomo Raspadori, Ciro Immobile, Andrea Belotti, Lorenzo Insigne and Federico Bernardeschi, and there is no space for Moise Kean either.
Predicted Lineup – Donnarumma (GK), Toloi, Bonucci, Acerbi, Di Lorenzo, Barella, Cristante, Verratti, Spinazzola, Raspadori & Retegui
Brentford striker Ivan Toney has rightfully been called up to Southgate’s latest England squad and will be hoping to make his debut against Italy on Thursday.
Notable absentees from the England squad include Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mason Mount, James Ward-Prowse, Marcus Rashford and Raheem Sterling. James Maddison is in the squad and will be hoping to add to his 1-cap after impressing for Leicester in recent weeks, while Kalvin Phillips gets a call-up despite not featuring much for Man City this season.
Predicted Lineup – Pickford (GK), James, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell, Henderson, Rice, Bellingham, Saka, Kane & Grealish
Italy vs England Predictions
No doubt about it, Italy are going through a transition period at the moment and will be intent on restoring their status as a formidable European giant in the coming weeks.
The Azzurri have some excellent players in their ranks and will be looking to get their Euro 2024 qualifying campaign off to a flying start.
England have a fairly seasoned squad and are unlikely to make any changes to their team. Both teams have issues to address at the moment and could play out a draw in this fixture.
OTHER BETTING TIPS FOR ITALY VS ENGLAND
Bukayo Saka to score or assist @ 8/5 with Grosvenor Sport
Francesco Acerbi to be booked @ 9/4 with Bet365
Odds correct at the time of writing. 18+ Only. Terms and Conditions Apply.
Having a bet on the big game tonight? Take advantage of one of our fantastic Free Bet offers below;